Play it Once
Try our Run, Jump, Throw Athletics Challenge, either at home, at your local park or Wyndham Park. Click on the link above to download.
Wyndham Park will be transformed into a mini Athletics facility with some running lanes and throwing/ jumping measurements, so grab your trainers and a soft object to throw and head down to complete our challenge.
Play it Again
Try Little Athletics Cross Country
- Kids can trial two cross country events for free (excludes Open Day)* by signing up here (choose Option A). Find out about cross country here. Find the locations here.
Try Little Athletics Track & Field
- Have a go at different track and field events at Werribee Little Athletics Centre’s Come and Try Day in September – keep an eye on Wyndham City’s Active Wyndham Calendar for a listing.
Try Western Athletics
- Thursdays 6 to 7pm throughout Wynopoly at Victoria University athletics track. Participants must be 13 years or older.
- There will be 4 events to try each week, one of each: Sprint, Jump, Throw and a longer track run. Bring enthusiasm and footwear suitable for running and jumping.
- The Summer Track & Field season runs from October to March, Winter Cross Country runs May to August. Road season runs throughout the year.
With a combination of running, jumping and throwing, often combined, lasting less than 10 seconds to over 2 hours there are a huge variety of events in Athletics. Athletics has been part of the modern Olympic games from the beginning, the most recent event to be added was the women’s 3000 metre steeplechase in 2008. Athletics is Australia’s second most successful Olympic sport after swimming.
Did you know?
Australia’s Athletics team’s most successful games was the 1956 Melbourne Olympics where medals were won in 12 events. Australia’s most successful event is women’s hurdles where 4 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze medals have been achieved.
Australia’s Paralympic Athletics teams have consistently been very successful, achieving an amazing 66 medals at the Sydney Paralympics.
Aussies to watch:
Three local Western Athletics athletes will be representing Australia at Tokyo:
- Morgan Mitchell ran the 400 metres individual and relay events at Rio 2016 and will be running the 800 metres in Tokyo. Jack Rayner has been selected for the Marathon and Amy Cashin for the 3000 metre steeplechase. – Good luck!
- Commonwealth games gold medalist wheelchair racer Madison de Rozario and visually impaired world record holding middle distance runner Jaryd Clifford are part of a highly talented Paralympic team heading to Tokyo.
Olympic Track and Field events will run from 30th July to 8th August 2021. A huge array of sprinting, throwing, jumping, middle and long distance running and relays will take place. Find the schedule here.
Paralympic Track and Field events run from Friday 27th August to Sunday 5th September here.
Where can I do athletics in Wyndham?
Check out the interactive athletics line marking at Wyndham Park to help you complete the Athletics Challenge during the Tokyo Olympics!
- Werribee Little Athletics Centre offers coaching and competition for 5 to15 years, focusing on Family, Fun and Fitness.
- Western Athletics and Wyndham Track and Field both based at Victoria University Athletics Track, Hoppers Crossing offer a variety of athletics training for older kids and adults.
- Endurance running opportunities for all standards are available at WynFit Recreational Runners and Point Cook Runners, see our Walking and Running page for Wynopoly Come and Try opportunities.